Tuesday, November 4, 2008

3 a.m. thoughts

I woke up with a migraine and after taking a handful of medication, I am waiting for it to kick in. Whilst doing so, my thoughts are racing towards this Sunday, when I have to give a Relief Society lesson. I chose Adversity and the Atonement a while ago, and am now lacking inspiration to give it the umph it deserves. So, I wanted to ask you, my friends, if you have anything I can use during my lesson. Is there a story from your life about how the Atonement has seen you through a rough patch (I will change names if necessary)? Do you have a brilliant scripture that illistrates how the Lord is always by our side in times of need? Anything....please! I don't think it is fair to ask and not give so I thought I would share. When I was a teenager, I went through an extremely self-inflicted and severe trial. I was in over my head and had no clue what to do. My testimony, if anything, was weak at best. My confidence in myself was shattered and I was in a very lonely place. However, I was fortunate enough to have people rally around me. Out of sheer necessity, I turned toward my Heavenly Father, both for forgiveness and strength. Both seemed to come slowly but surely. My eyes were opened to the power of the Atonement. It was a concept I had been taught in primary and Young Womens, but it was a bit too abstract for me to really "get". I finally understood that the Lord really does give us trials for a purpose. I believe he also gives us tools to see us through those trials. For me, it was supportive family and friends. In a situation where I could have been shunned (a much too severe word for lack of a better one), I had people all around me that defended me, lifted me up and offered me unending support. Without these people, I know my trial would have been much darker and more difficult to endure. I am so thankful for the power of forgiveness. I am so thankful for the love that Heavenly Father shows me everyday. I am truly a blessed child of God.

Other early morning thoughts:
Thank you, Rita, for asking me to run "today"! It kicked my butt, but I am so glad to get going. You were so kind to think of me. I am having a bit of buyers remore with the shoes, but oh well. By the way, I think bangs would look fabulous on you.

Watch the Price is Right today if you can. My cousin, Myrna, is on it today!

I am so glad to have my brother and sista-in-law so close again! We look forward to chillin' with y'all more often.

Anyone know how to make curtains (and be willing to teach me)?

Well, better get back to bed. The medication is kicking in.

4 comments:

Rita said...

I hope the run did not incur the migraine! Yuck. It was so good to see you, talk, and run. I think we both needed it.

I found the scripture I told you about last night so it must be intended for your lesson and not mine!
D&C84:88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

Like I said last night, this applies to missionary work but I loved it as a comfort for everyday challenges.

Thank you for sharing your feelings about your tough experience. I will tell you again that your healing and ability to learn and move on is incredible to me. You are a strong woman and I am so grateful to be your friend.

Rita said...

I just about forgot...I sign up to be your curtain teacher!!

Mary Jane said...

I am actually reading a great book on the atonement. An aspect of it that I am unfamiliar with. It's the Peacegiver and it talks about how Christ has not only atoned for our sins but for others as well. So when we feel hurt he understands the pain but also has taken the sin upon himself. We only need to forgive. I'm really struggling forgiving someone right now and it is a unique look on the power of the atonement.
You'll do great on the lesson. I bet you are a great teacher.
Also there is the story of the refiner's fire. Do you know about that one? Call me if you want me to get it for you.

Rita said...

Hey--
I'm thinking about you and know that your lesson will go how it should tomorrow. You sounded a little down when you called to cancel our run. Let me know when you can go this week. I can go on Monday or Friday early morning or a little later on Tuesday or Thursday. Call me.